The present Hall stands on the same site as the first Hall built by the family in 1469. The Hall now standing was built between 1832 and 1845 by Rowland Egerton-Warburton. George Latham was the architect who was from Nantwich. The Hall is situated at the very heart of the Estate and consequently overlooks the famous Gardens and beautifully landscaped Park. The stonework of the house is Hollington stone.
The Hall is open periodically each month, please check the What's On page of this website to see all the dates it is due to be open.
The West Door
The principal entrance to The Hall was formerly through the porch on the south front, but its large doors caused too many draughts. In 1862 an entrance was created in the west front, leading to the West Hall, which contains panelling from the old house.
The bookcases and chimney piece were all made in London by H Wood & Company of Covent Garden. They were made in 1843 at a cost of £520. The ceiling is also the most elaborate by the architect, George Latham.
The Front Hall
The doorways and panelling were designed by Latham as were the fine ceilings. These were executed by J Hughes of Manchester in 1842. The dining room table was originally made for the great dining hall which was demolished in 1968. With its extra leaves it seats 24 people in great comfort.
The Gallery was the principal sitting room of a house in the nineteenth century. In this room is one of a number of longcase clocks. The ceilings and panelling were designed by Latham in 1842-43. The stained glass in this room is also by M Lusson of Paris, 1863.
The Drawing Room
The Drawing Room is devoted to the memory of Rowland, whose portrait hangs over the fireplace and to that of his wife, Mary Brooke. Two small portraits of Rowland and Mary's two daughters hang below a painting of Rowlands's mother who lived to be ninety-nine. They also bought the suite of furniture in the French style in 1854.
The Small Dining Room
The barrel-shaped ceiling is one of the architect's happiest designs and combines successfully with the warm panelling and the cleverly contrived door to the garden. The virginal by Stephen Keene, 1675, is one of the oldest surviving English keyboard instruments.
The Grand Staircase
The Grand Staircase is probably Latham’s masterpiece. The fine oak staircase and doorways with the elaborate strapwork and panelled pasterwork are a marvellous evocation of the grandest Elizabethan staircases.
The South Bay Bedroom
The South Bay Bedroom was originally the principal bedroom, and Rowland's dressing room was behind on the west side of the house, where the Exhibition Room is now. A collection of watercolours by Elizabeth Ashbrook is on display.
The Emperors Room
The Emporer’s Room is so called because it was the bedroom of Napoleon III in the winter of 1847-48.
Lord Ashbrook, the great great grandson of Rowland Egerton-Warburton, who built the present Arley Hall, grew up in the Hall as a child. He spent some time as a young man living there.
There has been a domestic chapel at Arley for many centuries. Before 1845 services had been held in the picturesque old building to the north of the house. In 1841 Rowland’s felt that he must have a Gothic chapel attached to his house. He commissioned Anthony Salvin as the architect.
The organ was made by Kirtland & Jardine of Manchester.
Services still take place in the chapel.